Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Inspiration from Pinterest - Spider Collage

I think that one of the greatest part of being an art teacher during this point in time is the availability of collaboration with other art educators from around the world. On a daily basis I connect with a great number of very talented people using Twitter, Facebook, Art Ed 2.0, Google +, and other social networks. We bounce ideas off of each other, solve problems, share lesson ideas, collaborate on projects together and just inspire each other to be the best teachers we can be.
My new favorite place to be inspired by is Pinterest.com. If you have not looked into this site you need to now - but be warned it can be addictive! Pinterest allows you to pin things you see online onto boards that you can organize. I've developed quite a wide range of boards and I pin usually at least a little every day. It's a great way to gather and share ideas and organize them into sections.
I've pinned so many great art project ideas already this school year. I've just completed a couple projects with my student inspired by ones I've seen on Pinterest.

Spider Collage
I usually do an Eric Carle lesson with my first graders. In the past this has been a caterpillar collage inspired by the Hungry Caterpillar. This year I saw some great spider collages using painted papers on Pinterest. I incorporated the art of Eric Carle, using different painting techniques, collage techniques, and how primary colors mix to create secondary colors.
After introducing them to Eric Carle through his books and a great movie - Picture Writer, we were ready to begin to paint our papers. The painting was done in one class period. I prepped the room with three stations since I wanted students to have three different colored papers to use on their spiders.

Here's a view of one of my art rooms before the students came into class.

At one station sponges were used by the students to create a violet paper.

A green paper was painted and the end of the paint brush was used to scratch lines into the paint.

Students used cardboard or rubber painting tools to scrap textures into the orange paint.

The next class students began to put together their spider collage.

This project combined a lot of different concepts and skills and was enjoyed by the students.









4 comments:

  1. Really cool, Theresa. Your students must have had a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Definitely going to do this w/my 1st graders. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! Something I will consider for next year
    .

    ReplyDelete