Thursday, November 8, 2012

Claymation with 5th Grade Students Using iMotion HD app


I posted this on my ArtwithMrsG website (my website I share info with my students and families) but thought I should add it here too! It was such a success because the students were so proud of what they had done!

The subject for our movie was a red ball that would roll into a scene, interact with that environment, change and then roll out into another scene. The students brainstormed ideas and then we put them together to flow with whatever color or colors of clay balls that were exciting and entering each scene. I was so proud of how the students worked together in small groups and then as a whole group. Even though no actual art was produced that art class - it was one of my favorites. The creativity and problem solving skills they were using put a huge smile on my face!

Students each created a storyboard for their group's scene and then compared them to come up with what the group wanted to do. I gave each group a 12x18 piece of tagboard to fold to create the backdrop. They glued construction paper onto this, colored on it with various materials, and glued extra things on as needed. We propped these up by taping some metal book stands borrowed from the library to the back.

Students used modeling clay and other items to create things in their scene that the clay ball would interact with.

Once the back drop was done we began filming. We made sure we all had the clay balls that were coming and going from scene to scene all ready before we started filming. We doubled up on these so that many groups could film at the same time. For example if a green ball was leaving one scene and would be entering another, we created 2 identical balls so that both groups could be filming at the same time.

The iPad app iMotion HD made this so easy! This app is free and a must have for the art room! Our iPads have smart covers so they were able to be propped up and worked great to keep the iPad in the same spot. After a group finished filming they exported the movie to the photo library and then put it into my Dropbox file. I could then take all the movies and put them together in iMovie on my computer.
















Watch our finished movie here ---> 5th Grade Claymation Project


7 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC!!! I loved doing claymation with my kids, but several years ago the technology wasn't quite there for me and I got frustrated (slow desktops, no apps!). Perhaps I need to investigate using all this new technology! iPads in the classroom?! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! Yes the technology makes it much easier. It takes some steps out of the process - making the students find success easier - which makes them want to do more! Love it! I received a grant for 6 iPads to use with my art students in all 3 elementary schools. But this project could be done with only one. The filming could take place one group at a time while another project is being worked on.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much! I am always looking for cool new projects to do with my classes! THIS definitely qualifies! I also think my "will never get off his ipad" art loving son is going to be thrilled with it as well. He is downloading the program as we speak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to try this! We just got iPads at my school this year. How long did it take students to tape their show? I am thinking one 40 min. Class to prep and then another to tape. Am I guessing right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The actual filming took one class period easily. We used previous classes for storyboards and backdrop/clay things creation. With good group organization it can go pretty fast!

      Delete
  4. Cooperation between various groups If members of the police, construction and scrap metal recycling industries could form some sort of agency or cooperative body, they would be in a position to have a serious affect on the theft of scrap metals. An example of how this cooperation could work is by having members of the police force educate scrap dealers on how to identify suspicious sellers.

    Saving Metals

    ReplyDelete
  5. )#) Supporting the mandatory facts to be able to navigate ones visitors may well be since uncomplicated mainly because addressing this journalist's doubts regarding exactly who, just what exactly, in which, once, the best way, and also exactly why. https://imgur.com/a/8XLFc1h https://imgur.com/a/TtxrqUT https://imgur.com/a/woPbwYX http://d9rfl1kpwo.dip.jp https://imgur.com/a/6Bklplz https://imgur.com/a/txnVMyW https://imgur.com/a/PnCcMDQ

    ReplyDelete