Monday, November 4, 2013

I Think I "Felt" in Love with Needle Felting!


Up until a year or so ago, I had no idea what needle felting was. I started to pin some of these cute little sculptures on Pinterest and made a mental note to find more out about how these were done. I've never met an art form I didn't like. I love to try new things!  



So, when I saw that there was a felting workshop during the IAEA Conference I made a point (no pun intended) to quickly sign up for it. I wasn't disappointed!   Natasha from Esther's Place Fiber Studio taught us about wet felting and needle felting.   I had a blast! My first sculpture needed a lot of work - My owl looked a bit tipsy!


The next morning I purchased a starter kit so that I could do more at home. Even better - the last day of the conference at the raffle I won a big basket of 65 balls of wool! So Excited!!


So first chance I got I tossed all my school work aside and began to create a felted turkey sculpture. 






Here's some of the work in progress:

 
Molly is wondering what that smell is? 

I like how my turkey came out and look forward to creating again.  I'd love to take this skill into my classroom. I think my 5th graders would enjoy doing it. 
Have any of you ever needle felted with students in school? If so how did it go? Please share your experiences! 

No comments:

Post a Comment